Subscribe

Holistic Remedies to Fuel Student Health

Robin Parmelee

As we edge closer to the culmination of another school year, stress levels tend to skyrocket for high school students. With exams, projects, and deadlines looming overhead, it’s easy to neglect our well-being in the pursuit of academic success. However, what if there were natural remedies right at our fingertips that could alleviate some of these end-of-year pressures? Holistic remedies can provide unconventional yet effective solutions to help students navigate the challenges of the final stretch with vigor and vitality.

Photo: divascancook.com

Sea moss:

A substance that can provide you 92 out of the 102 minerals needed in your body sounds like a hoax trying to loop in buyers to spend unnecessary amounts of money on an inefficient product. But what if I told you this truly does exist and, better yet, it wasn’t created in a lab full of synthetics and instead straight from mother nature herself? Sea moss is a naturally occurring red algae and is a natural and holistic approach to promoting vitality and well-being. Although this blended, jarred algae might not taste delicious by itself, this new health fad has a plethora of benefits including boosting your immune system, promoting digestion, increasing energy levels, and promoting muscle healing. 

Photo: amazon.com

Magnesium:

This mineral is naturally occurring in many different types of leafy greens, nuts, seeds, and legumes, yet supplements are a great way to get a more concentrated amount of magnesium. Derived from plants, Healthline.org says these supplements can work wonders for your sleep cycle and stress levels. Students who experience insomnia or have trouble falling asleep should look into testing out magnesium supplements, as they are clinically proven to improve sleep quality and duration.

Photo: Beekeeper’s Naturals

Bee pollen:

Although it sounds like a nightmare for someone with allergies to eat pollen itself, the effects of this substance can actually be the opposite of what is expected. Consuming bee pollen from a local source of bees is proven to heighten your immunity towards the pollen and significantly decrease seasonal allergies.  Not only does the pollen aid in allergy relief, it also provides a multitude of different vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants as well as strengthening the immune system over all. It’s easy to blend into smoothies, eat on top of yogurt, or simply take a spoonful and follow with a chaser.

Photo: amazon.com

Chlorophyll:

We were taught in our biology classes that chlorophyll is the naturally occurring compound that gives leaves their green color, yet scientists have figured out a way to extract this compound and make it into a concentrated liquid available for us to consume. According to the National Institute of Health, mixing chlorophyll into your water can provide several health benefits, such as promoting detoxification by eliminating toxins from the body, supporting healthy digestion, aiding in wound healing and tissue repair, neutralizing free radicals- cancer causing agents- to reduce oxidative stress, and potentially freshening breath and reducing body odor.

Photo: National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health

Flax Seeds:

Known for being high in fiber and promoting digestion, flax seeds can also have many benefits for the hair and skin. When boiled with water, the mixture will thicken and become gelatinous; this can be used as a face and hair mask that can reduce breakouts, dark spots, and fine lines in the skin as well as promote hair growth and strengthen hair follicles to prevent breakage. When mixed with water, it can also be used as a vegan substitute for eggs when baking!

Holistic remedies offer a natural and accessible way for students to boost their health amidst the whirlwind of end-of-year responsibilities. Whether it’s incorporating sea moss for vitality, magnesium for restful sleep, or bee pollen for immune support, these remedies provide a gentle yet potent way to navigate the final hurdles of the year.