Staff Spotlight: John Grigsby

Henry Marken, Staff Writer

He’s neither the star Quarterback, nor the fastest swimmer. He does not run track, play baseball, or even golf. He does not play for any sport at Miramonte, yet he is the most important person to every team. John Grigsby, often referred to as John the Trainer, is the Athletic Trainer, the Sports Medicine instructor, and the Human and Social Development teacher.

This will be Grigsby’s 12th year at Miramonte and not a day has gone by where his presence hasn’t been greatly appreciated. “He is a huge asset to all our programs,” athletic director James Lathrop said. “He’s huge for the safety of our student-athletes, always making sure they are staying healthy in addition to performing.”

The combination of Grigsby’s experience on the field and his reputation of sincere kindness has helped make Sports Medicine one of the most popular classes on campus. Over the course of his career at Miramonte, Grigsby turned a class that began with 25 kids into the highly acclaimed and respected program with 90 students. When Grigsby isn’t teaching about the anatomical structures of the human body or taping ankles, he is out patrolling various sports practices.

When senior varsity football player Ethan Fischler injured his foot after running a route over the middle, he knew exactly who to see. “He’s been super helpful with recovery process such as icing it, in addition to the other resources he has in his training room,” Fischler said. When asked what he would do if Grigsby was unavailable, he replied, “the recovery process would take a lot longer, because I wouldn’t know what to do for my foot or who to see.”

Grigsby doesn’t just specialize in land sports. He has been vital to the recent NCS successes of both the girls and boys water polo teams. “John is crucial to our team, not only because he provides us with help when we are injured, but rather his spirit for sports and his encouragement to all his Sports Med students to go to our games,” senior water polo player Katrina Drake said.

Grigsby doesn’t limit his patients to students; he has been known to be a first responder for many teacher injuries as well. Geometry teacher Brian Henderson injured his heel a year ago during a staff and student volleyball game. “When you are an old man and you tear your achilles playing volleyball at lunch against the students, it can be tough to get up and help yourself out. John was immediately on the scene and knew exactly what was going on,” Henderson said. The incident of the torn achilles is one of many examples in which John was there for an injured faculty member.

Whether you need an ankle taped, a back checked out, or even a dislocated shoulder to be popped back in place, don’t hesitate to swing by John’s office. No matter what he’s working on, one thing is for sure: without John, Miramonte athletes would not be nearly as successful as they are today.