Student Spotlight: Thalia Bradley Lends a Helping Hand During COVID-19 Pandemic

Isla Burch, Staff Writer

Currently, many seniors are worrying about missing the fun parts of  second semester, such as ball and graduation, or stressing about choosing a college roommate. Senior Thalia Bradley is facing these same dilemmas, however since this COVID-19 pandemic spread to our surrounding communities, she has stepped up to lend a helping hand. 

Her family runs a guitar accessories business, which has historically used their platform to raise awareness and fund other issues such as the  bee crisis and the reforestation of Koa trees in Hawaii. Keeping akin to their core values, they have further stepped up their efforts, by manufacturing intubation boxes and N95 masks. Taiwanese doctor, Hsien Yung Lai, was the original designer of these acrylic boxes, which allow healthcare workers to safely intubate patients without the heightened risk of catching COVID-19. 

Working closely with a family friend who is an ER doctor, the family’s business made modifications to improve the effectiveness of the box. These modifications include a slanted viewing window, to reduce glare, and a better methodology for sealing the boxes to enhance the vapor barrier between the patient. They have shipped over 350 of these boxes, which they call the Thalia box,  across the world. With the feedback from these doctors and healthcare professionals, they have further upgraded the box and are now producing Thalia Box 2.0, which is already being distributed. 

“From this whole experience, I have learned that there is always something you can do to make a difference. My family runs a small guitar business and we completely switched our manufacturing to produce these products that are in scarcity,” Bradley said, “anyone can make an impact if they are willing to take the necessary steps, no matter how small they are.” Bradley has been on the front line delivering boxes and helping spread the word. In addition, her family created a GoFundMe page, so doctors can have accessibility to these products without the financial burden. 

The response to her and her family’s work has been overwhelmingly positive. The Bradley family has received numerous emails and texts from healthcare workers and doctors who are very appreciative of their work. Dr. Michael Fahmy, part of the Palo Alto Foundation Medical Group, was one doctor who received products from the Bradley family. “I hope that everybody working in the Thalia family knows that a group of anesthesiologists working on the peninsula are all just a little safer thanks to your hard work,” Fahmy said.

There are many ways people can help during these tough times, whether it be direct actions or through donations. “Helping your older neighbors get groceries, donating canned food and, I know it’s hard, but social distancing and staying at home, are just a few actions people can take,” Bradley said. She emphasizes that the most important thing is to take coronavirus seriously.