Student Reactions of the Presidential Election

Paige Mays, Online News Editor

Waking up on an unusual Saturday morning, Nov. 7, you feel a sense of uncertainty filling your cluttered mind. Which candidate will win? The longevity of the election has already preceded your expectations. Thankfully, early that morning, you hear the exciting or disappointing news—Joe Biden and Kamala Harris have won the presidential and vice-presidential election. Some were filled with smiles, while others were filled with anger. Whether the news shattered hearts or mended hearts, the results have settled in, forcing both sides to accept the outcome.

According to a poll conducted on the Mirador Instagram, 86 percent of voters said they were happy with the outcome of the election, while 14 percent were dissatisfied with the results.

Some Miramonte students were thrilled with the news because of the change in representation and management they are hoping to see. “I was very happy about the election results this year because I believe that we needed a dramatic change in political leadership in our country. Joe Biden is also addressing all of the issues that are the most important to me: climate change, racial justice, addressing the coronavirus, prison reform, and protecting basic human rights,” junior Thomas Quinnild said. Regardless of who won the election, according to Quinnild, if Biden had lost the election, he would want people to act considerately because although political beliefs may vary, we are all still Americans and deserve respect.

Despite one side being ecstatic over the results, the other was hoping for a different outcome because of the dislike they feel for Biden’s political views. 

“I was disappointed with the election results. However, this is not because of how the other side responded; I didn’t want Biden as our president because of his political views,” junior Lindsey Lucas said. 

The presidential election lasted a total of 5 days; although this is not the longest election, it still forced many to sit in stress and anxiety, contemplating the future of the nation. Nevertheless, the outcome was revealed, leaving some homes divided because of the difference in their political views.

“Being the only liberal in an extremely conservative family is very frustrating. So as you may assume, I was extremely relieved and pleased with the presidential election results,” sophomore Hanna Nguyen said. 

Surrounding the election, there were disagreements about if the election was conducted nicely and unbiasedly. According to the American Psychological Association, 68 percent of adults said the 2020 presidential election was a primary source of stress in their life, which is a significant increase from the 2016 election when only 52 percent responded with that statement.

“I believe that the election was conducted in a way that both challenged and reinforced the political problems plaguing our nation today. On one side, I believe that news networks refrained from partisanship and reported the information without much bias, but on the other side, many networks made the presidential race seem like the Super Bowl, perpetuating the practice of portraying politics as if it is entertainment,” Quinnild said.

Going to bed that Saturday night, many sleepless teens and adults finally exhale; the week of anticipation has finally concluded. Now they can spend this time relaxing until the next four years are done.