Mats Excel in Special Olympics

Andrew Johnston and Cole Sitar, Staff Writers

On Tuesday, April 29, a group of Miramonte students travelled to Acalanes to represent Miramonte against other local schools in the Bay Area Special Olympic Games. The Mats not only did great, but also had a fun time and hope to compete again next year.

Because the Games are more important than just a track meet, they begin with a parade for the athletes. Starting at around 9:30 a.m., the Mats strutted their stuff around the track. Miramonte sophomore Patrick Kirbac, who held a banner during the parade, commented that the parade was really fun.

Most Matadors competed in more than one event during the Games. Kirbac and sophomore Thomas Bear competed in the 50 meter dash and tennis ball throw. Sophomore Ben Yokalvich also threw.

Two Miramonte athletes who stood out were sophomore Akasha Canonizado and senior Kendall Skelton. Canonizado placed 3rd in the 50m, 7th in the long jump, and threw 70 feet in the tennis ball throw. Skelton, who regularly trains by running during and after school on the quad, won the 50m with a 6 second time.

The eventful day came to a close with a barbeque at around 1 p.m. Canonizado especially enjoyed the parade, saying “they had hot dogs, soda, and chips, which were really good.”

All athletes also received free t-shirts and cinch bags. Overall, the Miramonte representatives had a great time, and everyone who is eligible next year plans on competing again.