Latin Students Attend Ludi Convention

Latin+Convention

Ruby McCabe

Miramonte Latin students smile and pose for a picture during the general assembly at Ludi.

Allison Petek, Online Editor

Miramonte Latin club members travelled to Menlo School in Atherton to attend Ludi, the Northern California Junior Classical League Fall Convention, on Saturday Oct. 26. Latin students from schools throughout Northern California attended the convention. Students participated in various sporting competitions, community service projects, academic tests, and certamen. Certamen is a latin quiz bowl-style game where students put their Latin knowledge to the test.

Students took various academic tests such as mythology, reading comprehension, vocabulary, grammar and daily life and many placed highly including junior Grace Sjoberg who placed first in the High School level three Mythology test and freshman Jessica Milmoe who placed first in the High School level one Mythology test. 

“The academic testing went well,” junior Jake Weiner said, “it was fun to test my knowledge that I have acquired over the course of my Latin career at Miramonte. 

Miramonte won first place in dodgeball, basketball, and volleyball tournaments. “Playing basketball was a great way to get involved with convention,” junior Lauren Taylor said. 

Students had the opportunity to participate in Open Certamen. “I think certamen is really fun because it’s like Jeopardy and it is fun to learn new stuff in a relaxed way,” sophomore Mallika Dandamudi said. Several Miramonte students ranked well in the open certamen competition including senior Seamus McCarthy whose team won first place in the advanced certamen level. 

“It was so nice to make and meet new friends and reconnect with everyone in the CAJCL and introduce the freshmen to Latin club and Latin convention,” Miramonte Latin teacher Matt Davis said. 

“My favorite part about Ludi was definitely spending time with my friends from Miramonte and other schools,” junior Cara Holden said. 

“I love seeing everyone from all of the other schools coming together to celebrate Latin. It was such a fun, energetic day,” Taylor said.