Students Send Valentine’s Day Cards to Patients at St. Judes Hospital

Amali Chatterjee, Staff Writer

Miramonte students took part in sending Valentine’s Day cards to the St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital. The cards are all inspired by creations made by the kids at the hospital. The option to send a card was on their website. 

“I heard about the cards on someone’s Instagram story,” sophomore Paige Meyers said. “The process was picking out a card and either a pre-written message or your own. I chose my own. After, I got a message confirming that I sent one and an email from the family to me, which described the child’s illness.” Senders had to provide a name, email, and message. Senders also received a backstory of the child their card was sent to.  

St. Judes Children’s Research Hospital is a leading hospital in children’s care. Their mission is to fight against pediatric diseases through treatment and research. Due to the virus, hospital visits are  limited. Current patients  are receiving care from affiliate St. Judes clinics to minimize travel. 

“During these times, everyone’s life is a little wack, and a little act of kindness can go a long way. It can even make someone’s day, which I think is pretty incredible,” senior Nicole Wagner, who also sent out a card, said. Students of all grades took part in card giving. “I think it’s important to send cards to patients because it might make them happy, which brings their minds off the tough situation they are in,” sophomore Zoe Petty said. 

Before the pandemic, participants could either send a physical or virtual card, but now with more safety precautions;, e-cards are available. St. Judes allowed Valentine’s Day e-cards to be sent to patients until Feb 14.

“Celebrations are really important for our kids. Holidays are really important for our kids. So we try to do something around all of those events throughout the year,” Lisa Surprenant, Market Director of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, said.