Choir Returns with In-Person Concert

Photo by Bogomil Mihaylov on Unsplash

Sophia Luo, Social Media Manager

Thursday, Oct. 7, 6:30 pm, on the quad, the Miramonte choirs will present their first in-person choral concert since the pandemic began. 

The concert will be the first choral production since the 2019-2020 school year. Seniors are especially eager to stand on the risers again and sing for their classmates. “It’s our last year and it was really exciting to see everyone back in person and singing as a group again. I’m eager to have the chance to perform with my friends in person, especially since it is our final year in high school choir,” senior Lia Toyama said.

I wanted to give my students a performance opportunity before the Winter Concert in December. I’m excited and emotional and even a little stressed,” choir director Meredith Hawkins said. The Chamber Choir, Bella Voce, and Mixed Chorus will perform 

“We invited the OIS choir to perform with us, which I think will be really fun. I’ve worked with them a little and they are very thrilled to join us,” Hawkins said. The concert will be the first time that the Orinda Intermediate School (OIS) and Miramonte choirs will ever sing together in performance. 

“I am very excited since it’s going to be OIS’s first performance in a long time. I’m looking forward to working with the upperclassmen and I think it’ll be a great experience!” OIS eighth-grader Bailey Brothers said.

“At this concert, all of the choirs will be singing together again and you can really just relax and listen. It’ll be a fun experience to have after such a long time stuck at home,” junior and chamber singer Dorian Byrd said.

“I’m envisioning the quad full of family and friends enjoying a meal and cheering on the groups. I picture my students singing for an audience for the first time and really getting into it and enjoying their moment ‘on stage.’ I’m excited about all of it!” Hawkins said.