Miramonte Students Participate in Special Olympics

Max Kreutzelman, Staff Writer

On April 26, Acalanes High School partnered w Contra Costa County Education and the special olympics to host the annual Nor Cal Special Olympics. Acalanes had over 500 athletes from 54 different special education classes in the county competing in track and field events. Students from Stanley Middle School, San Ramon Valley High School, Miramonte, Acalanes, Campolindo and more participated in multiple events. Students participated in javelin throw, shot put—with a tennis ball, long jump and running. “This is truly something special that my son wanted to participate in and I’m happy that he got to,” a Stanley Middle School parent said. The events started around nine in the morning, and they begun with the 400m (one lap around the track). Many boys and girls were running the track with passion and determination as they passed the finish line together. A reporter asked Miramontes’ very own Nuk-Tae Doherty, “How fast do you think you were going?”. Nuk Tae immediately replied, “lightning speed”.

The special education students went through a 24 week training program with peer mentors to prepare for the event. “What’s terrific about our athletes is they believe they can accomplish anything and that there are no barriers to their success,” David Solo, the president of NorCal Special Olympics, said. The event ended with an awards ceremony where everyone got a ribbon to celebrate their efforts.