LatinX/Hispanic Heritage Month is a Time to Celebrate Latin or Hispanic Americans

Alexa Gutu, Staff Writer

LatinX/Hispanic Heritage Month is here and lasts from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. The month is allocated to celebrating Hispanic Americans and their contributions to the United States. 

LatinX /Hispanic Heritage month was originally only a week-long when it was first created in 1968. It was later extended to 30 days under President Ronald Reagan in 1988. The start date of LatinX /Hispanic Heritage month, Sept. 15, is significant because it also commemorates the anniversary of independence for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. The independence days for Mexico and Chile are also celebrated within LatinX/Hispanic Heritage month on Sept. 16 and Sept. 18, respectively. 

According to Spanish teacher Megan Flores, LatinX/Hispanic Heritage month should be used to celebrate, recognize, and respect the contributions of Latinos in the United States. Hispanic people make up an estimated 18.3 percent of the U.S. population, which is around 59.8 million people. “…one purpose [of LatinX/Hispanic Heritage month]… is recognizing the LatinX/Hispanic Heritage community as an important part of our society… it’s necessary to be reminded of the different cultures that make up our whole community,” sophomore Adriana Pureco said. 

Educating people about Hispanic culture is also a facet of this month. Some students also believe that learning about LatinX/Hispanic Heritage month should be integrated with the school curriculum.  “…it is important to incorporate LatinX/Hispanic Heritage month into our curriculum as it goes hand and hand with the diversity and racial equity work we are currently doing in cohort academy,” seniors and LatinX Student Union club leaders , Sammi Webber and Sofía Gamboa said.