Matadors Triumph over Berkeley in First Football Game of the Year

With standing ovations and enthusiastic cheers, the student section passionately supported the Miramonte football team as they secured their first victory of the season against Berkeley High School on Aug. 25. Triumphing with a score of 28-12, the players showcased their exceptional teamwork on the field. The first quarter remained calm with an even score, 0-0. However, the Matadors only progressed forward from the start of the game.

Approaching the second quarter, the Matadors were behind at 0-6. The team aimed to turn the score around as the third quarter neared. Team captain Nick Blair ‘24 motivated his teammates during halftime. “As a captain it is my job to be a leader for the team. During half time I gave the team a small pep-talk to remind everyone to keep trying their hardest because teamwork makes the dreamwork,” center Nick Blair said.  

It wasn’t until the start of the third quarter when sophomore and quarterback Carson Blair ‘26 took control. “Set, hike!” The ball landed in Carson Blair’s hands and instead of passing it to a receiver he spotted an opening on the field and sprinted into the endzone — touchdown for the Matadors.

Photo: Scott Barmmer

Carson Blair’s touchdown ignited the offensive drive. Senior wide receiver Finn McManus caught the ball at the 10 yard line and scrambled to the endzone. Another touchdown for the Matadors propelled the green team into the lead. Carson Blair maintained his performance, connecting with junior Jack Quinnild for yet another touchdown. As the third quarter came to a close, the home team led, 22-6. 

As the fourth and final quarter drew to a close, sophomore Andrew Borjornson finalized the game with a touchdown. After their first win of the season, the team intends to dominate more competition. “The whole team was pumped after we won the game. All of our hard work paid off,” running back and linebacker Gabe Roman ‘24 said. 

After the first game of the season the Matadors delivered an impressive performance while acknowledging the potential for further improvement. “The game went well. The team played great, especially the defense, who kept us in the game the first half. The offensive line and receivers did a great job too, which made it really easy for me to play,” Carson Blair said. The team’s magnetic energy resulted in a successful evening of football. “All of us guys are extremely close and our chemistry on and off the field correlates to our successes,” Nick Blair said. 

New friendships are guaranteed upon joining the football team.  “As a team captain I try to make sure everyone feels included and comfortable with one another,” Nick Blair said. The four senior captains, Nick Blair, Gabe Roman, Palmer Rhodes, and Myles Bastani, aspire to build a fraternal community among the players. “Everyone was extremely welcoming and very excited. I decided to play this year and I am really looking forward to playing with my friends this year,” wide receiver Brody Bornstein ‘24 said. 

The Matadors have high hopes for this season. “Our goals this year are to continue to build a culture of hard work and dedication to win our division,” quarterback and wide receiver Mitch Reichenbach ‘25 said. 

The Matadors have their next game on Friday Sept. 1 at Miramonte against Piedmont High School. Make sure to show up to every game and cheer during all four quarters. Support your fellow Matadors!