Lady Mats Soccer Team Wins NCS Championship

Amelia Mordy

For the first time in seven years, the girls varsity soccer team played Cardinal Newman for the NCS finals on Friday, Feb. 23. After a grueling battle that went all the way to penalty kicks, Miramonte pulled out the win for an NCS final score of 3-2. 

Going into NCS with an 85 percent win rate with 16 wins, Varsity girl’s soccer entered NCS finals last Friday for the first time in seven years. Led by team captains Shauna Lindheim ‘24, Zoe Rossiter ‘24, and Chayse Yu ‘24, the team came together during the season practices and bonding events. “The team fought through every adversity that was thrown at us. We played for 100 minutes, and we got the job done, which was awesome,” Yu said. 

Throughout the season, the girls have worked hard, practicing for countless hours alongside their coach, Taylor Abbott, who prepared them for each game and further readied them for the postseason championships. “They just needed a little bit of extra push and direction but at the end of the day they’re the ones playing on the field, and we just have to make sure they’re in the right position to win,” Abbott said. 

A key part of this win was the goalie, Talia Kardon ‘27, who came in toward the end of the season when the starting goalie Reid Thompson 24’, ended her season early due to injury. Stepping up for the team she was crucial to winning NCS as evidenced by her strong performance defending the goal during the penalty kicks for last night’s game.  “I try to keep my head clear and focus on the game rather than the crowd,” Kardon said. 

This tight game came on the heels of the girl’s semi-finals against Petaluma where they won 3-0. “This was probably the best our team has played with a shutout, which is the goal,” Yu said. 

This season, the team not only worked hard but closely bonded with one another, hyping each other up, especially as it is crucial for this team sport. “As captains, we have always been there for the girls when they need it,” Lindheim said.

Their season ended with a record of 17 wins, two ties, and two losses. Moving on to state, they will continue to work hard before their next game on Feb. 27. “We will do the same thing we’ve done all season; work hard, come out, be committed, and do everything we can to win,” Abbott said.