Online School is Causing Unhealthy Sleeping Schedules Among Students

Ingaborg Foutch, Staff Writer

Ah, going to bed early. That is a distant dream, that seems awfully unrealistic at this time in our lives. Everything is up in the air; most of us have no set schedules, so we find ourselves staying awake into the early morning. With nothing to wake up for, many of us have the perspective of: “why go to bed when I can sleep until noon?” It’s getting out of hand, we may fall asleep at 3 or even 4 a.m. and wake up with half of the day already passed! 

For students, going to sleep at a reasonable hour and waking up early in the morning seems like a rare occurrence. “My sleep schedule is completely messed up. I go to bed past midnight, and wake up midday,” junior Ben Cardoza said. Many students do not remember what it is like to wake up at the crack of dawn every morning, “I forget what it is like to wake up early in the morning.” Cardoza said.

Many students don’t see the need to go to sleep early because there isn’t the need to wake up for school.  “Because of online schooling, I don’t have the motivation to go to sleep early and wake up early. I’ve been sleeping in the middle of the night or early morning and waking up in the afternoon,” sophomore Malayna Chang said. Many stay up binge watching tv shows and playing games.

“I go to bed past 12 a.m. almost every night and wake up between 10 a.m. to12 p.m. in the morning,” sophomore Owen Van Stralen said. Although the needed hours of sleep are achieved, the timing is much different than the normal school year wake up time around 6 or 7 a.m. 

Many students also have the problem where they are in so deep with the messed up sleep schedule that there is no going back, and this becomes a routine. “I go to bed so much later now because I don’t get tired until around 2 a.m., but also I don’t have blinds in my room so I still wake up at 8 every morning so it’s not going great,” sophomore Reese Smith said. With many things currently uncertain in our lives and with no strict schedule to bid by, sleep schedules are all over the place with some not-so-healthy wake up and bedtimes.