How to Ski for Cheap

During these cold, dreary winter months, Orinda becomes plagued with overcast skies, endless rain, and sludgy mud. Enjoyable days at the beach, sunny hikes, and splashing in the pool are long gone. Meanwhile, Tahoe has received loads of fresh powder, perfect for an amazing day of skiing or snowboarding. The incentive to get in the car and book it straight to Tahoe is tempting, but there’s one minor (or major) hiccup: the cost. Taking a trip to Tahoe can become quite expensive, unless you do it right. We all want to be ballers on a budget, so here’s how to spend an amazing day in Tahoe — without breaking the bank.   

First, you need to get some gear. “My skis are from Sports Basement. You can rent them or buy them,” junior Alita Seanz said. At our local Sports Basement, you can find all your necessities without spending a fortune. “I have Blizzard skis and got them from Sports Basement, and my boots are Technicas, and I also got them from Sports Basement,” junior Ava Moga said. For $130, you can rent ski or snowboarding gear: goggles, a helmet, a neck gaiter, gloves, socks, snow boots, and thermals for a day. If you already have some nice, warm winter layers and accessories, you can rent skis or a snowboard for $45 for a day. A bit further away in San Rafael, you can go to Outback Adventures where you can rent skis or a snowboard for $44 and pick up any other gear you’re missing for a “reasonable” price. 

Now that you have your gear, it’s time to get up to Tahoe. For $99, you can hitch a ride on Sports Basements Ski Bus. The ski bus offers rides to five different ski resorts — North Star, Sugar Bowl, Palisades, Kirkwood, and Sierra. The ski bus departs from Bryant St., Presidio, Stonestown, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, Redwood City, Sunnyvale, and Campbell at 5 a.m. and 5:25 a.m. from Walnut Creek and Nevato.  At 3:30 p.m. Sports Basement will host an apres-ski with many refreshments. And at 4:15 p.m. the bus departs for home. Alternatively, you can drive or have a parent drive, which can be cheaper or more expensive depending on gas cost.

Now that you’re in Tahoe, it’s time to hit the slopes. All ski resorts have day passes for sale, but the resort you pick will be based on personal preferences. Lift tickets at Palisades for teens (13-17) range from $175-230. That number is pretty steep, but with the Miramonte Snow Clubs discount, you can get tickets 25% off. At Sugar Bowl Resort, you can snag a teen (13-22) pass for $70-140 depending on how close you purchase to your chosen date. 

Now you’re set and ready for an amazing day of snow. Before you hit the slopes, I’ll leave you with a couple of nifty tips and tricks. Food at the lodge can get pricey, so packing your lunch will definitely save you a couple of bucks (or a hundred). Also, try to plan your trip as far in advance as possible — this way, tickets will be cheaper. Finally, try to find a friend with a season ticket, they will have a buddy pass that you can use. Alright, now you’re really ready to conquer the slopes without putting a massive dent in your spending money, enjoy!